The Catwoman (Short Story)


Wouldn’t it be nice if we could get the person whom we love most? What if love was easy to get? What if we didn’t have to love someone secretly? I wish things would work out with a girl I love. She’s the definition of perfection. She’s my ultimate dream, which I see every time. She’s the catwoman. She’s not a superhero but she’s a super girl in my life. But I’m too shy to tell her. My friends tease me a lot. I tell them that I have the confidence to speak with her, but no, I really don’t.  I’d rather use my ninja skills to stalk her whenever I can.

My pen rolls off the desk as I daydream about her. I am having an exam. Curiously, I’m done with it already, just on time. I hand over the answer sheets to the invigilator and walk out. I meet my friend, and I tell him my plans to wait for my crush to come out of the hall. We stand outside, from where we can see all the people coming out of hall. I’m fidgeting with my feet. I look around. I’m already feeling anxious before I see her.

She walks out like a model in a fashion runway. She’s wearing a white jacket with grey stripes and dark jeans. Just the sight of her, knocks me off my feet and plays drums in my heart. She flips her raven-black luscious hair, and runs fingers through it. I feel like she’s a magnet and my heart is the iron. She tries to keep her hair in place, but the mad wind blows it all backward.  I think to myself --- Keep it cool, Rajat. I try to drown out the increasing heartbeat. I feel lost at the sight and forget that I am staring intensely.

“Dude, ehem” My friend clears his throat.
“What?” I asked annoyed
“She’s not even looking at you.” He popped my happy thoughts.
“I can make her notice me.” I looked at her dreamily.
“Sure thing.” He scowled. “Nothing has ever happened; you’ve already been crushing on her for years now.”
I think she’s going off to the new cafeteria.” I grinned. “Let’s go there before she reaches.”
“Alright, but don’t give her that creepy stare. Just be chill.” He reminds me.

We rush to the cafeteria and wait for her. There’s a song being played in the boom box in the cafeteria “This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris ft Rihanna”. She’s there with her friend. As soon as she enters, I lost control again. I feel like my heart is about to burst, the heart beat picks up the pace. I’m sweating with every step she takes, bringing her closer to me.

The girls line up for the food tray. We line up behind them. My friend jokingly pushes me forward, and I almost collide into her. I turn behind and I give my friend a sharp look that means “you shall see my wrath”. I can smell the perfume on her, I’ve never felt so mesmerized with a fragrance. She takes her food and goes to sit at an empty table with her friend. The cafeteria is just half filled. The song seeps into my mind.
We go fast with the game we play
Who knows why it's gotta be this way

My hands are sweaty, and the food tray almost slips off my hand. I adjust it. I walk towards the chair and my big toe decides to collide with the chair leg. Shit! Ouch! I try not to lose balance. My friend laughs and sits next to me. I usually buy my friend their lunch because I drag them with me, so that I can see her.  I see her, talking and giggling with her friend. They look lost in the conversation. I fork the celery and carrots, stealing glances at her. Her deep black eyes meet mine. I choke on my cold coffee. Her short glance took away my breath. And we both feel flustered. She quickly looks at her food tray and tears the dosa with her delicate fingers. I look at my friend and he winks at me. I scoop in a spoonful of sheera in my mouth. He has sheera, dosa and cold coffee. I raise my fork to attack him.
“Hey, y’all” A bunch of my friends join us at the table. We all do our little fist bump thing, every time we meet.  They all know the reason why I’m there.

One of my friend nudges me with his elbow.“If you want her, go talk. Man up, ok?”
“Shhh—I will do it, just wait till New Year.” I put some efforts to relax. I look back at her. She’s on her phone. Maybe she’s scrolling through her instagram and posting cat pictures. I sip the cold coffee. I pick up my phone, and turn on Clash of Clans. I give out some few troop donation request. I turn it off quickly and watch my crush drinking cold coffee. Her smile radiates and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Soon, she exits out of the cafeteria. My eyes follow her till she vanishes out of the door. I exhale breathe. I feel a slight regret because I have already set a bad impression on her. I had a better chance, long time ago, but my toughness and bad boy image kicked in.  It’s not easy to make her mine because she’s taken. Yeah, she has a boyfriend. But he isn’t that great. I don’t see that as an obstacle because love happens in any situation. My heart can’t contain the feelings I have for her. I wish she could see it through my eyes. I will always hope.

I return to my home. After my dinner, I lie on my bed. All my medals and trophies could be seen at the shelves of my mahogany cupboard. I won them from swimming competition. There’s just one trophy, I really need to win. That’s catwoman. I slouch back on my bed. I start to picture her face. She has a low forehead and a heart-shaped face with a cute chin. Her eyes are exotic and catlike. A touch of winged eyeliner makes her look gorgeous. Her half filled eyebrows give her a perpetual expression of mischievousness. Her small flat nose, sits perfectly. She doesn’t even need to try to look good, she’s naturally beautiful.

I get into deep thinking. I love her wholeheartedly. I follow her like a shadow. How long more do I have to gaze at her alone? My love came in like a wind and its building a whirlwind in my heart.  If I take two steps to get closer, she always takes a step away. Maybe if I continue this way, and finally speak one day, I can make her love me.

I fall asleep. I dream that she’s standing under a maple tree. It’s autumn time. The trees are shedding their leaves. They fall on her in mosaic of colors. She kneels on the muddy ground and plays with her grey cat with emerald eyes. She notices me. She calls my name. Rajat! Her voice echoes through. I’m walking closer…

#Mamba
#Rajat

Written by,
Jade(Sris) ;)










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Imaginative Representation on "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud"

Emotive Function of Language in Lawrence’s “Spring Funeral”